This EP was intended as something a little different. It features two old songs, a new song, and a cover, all arranged in the style of old-school video game music, or chiptune. I have a real soft spot for old games and their soundtracks; I remember playing through Kirby's Dreamland, Super Mario Land and Ducktales (of all things) on my old brick-style Game Boy as a kid, listening to the music and wondering how they did it, thinking, 'I wish I could do that!'. Well, now I have, sort of.
when you get your USB you will find some folders:
THE 'MUSIC' FOLDER
In the 'Music' folder of this USB drive, you can find the following songs:
1. Moon Maps
2. Two Thousand One Hundred and Sixty
3. Before Us Comes The Flood
4. Riches and Wonders (Mountain Goats cover)
You can find information and lyrics to all these songs on my Bandcamp (deerful.bandcamp.com
), if you like.
These songs were written, recorded, produced and mixed entirely by me, Emma Winston, with the exception of 'Riches and Wonders', which was written by John Darnielle (www.mountain-goats.com
). The only instruments used were three Teenage Engineering Pocket Operator mini-synthesisers.
THE 'EXTRAS' FOLDER
In the 'Extras' folder you'll find
1. A print-out, cut-out and fold papercraft version of me (yes, really).
2. A digital wallpaper in various sizes for different devices
3. A mini platform game (double-click home.html to run it in a browser). I built this in a lovely program called PICO-8 (www.lexaloffle.com/pico-8.php
); it’s based on Jelpi by Zep at Lexaloffle (twitter.com/lexaloffle
). Help Emma collect the tapes and records, and get home safely (and look out for John Jervis, who put this record out).
The Home EP was created entirely in my front room in Clapton and is a homage to both the digital and analogue things that make you feel like you belong somewhere. I hope you enjoy it.
You can find me at:
released October 14, 2016